The ex-Jets quarterback opened his re-branded WFAN radio show – in a studio completely scrubbed clean of any presence of Craig Carton – by dealing with the news that his long-time partner had resigned amid Ponzi scheme charges.
“I think it’s a good move for Craig,” Esiason said of the announcement that came Wednesday night, “and I think for he and his family he has to focus supremely on that. That’s the one thing he has to take care of and that’s the one thing we want him to do, we want him and his family to get through this. He’s going to have to put all his energy in that.”
Carton, who had sat side-by-side with the former football star for 10 years on the popular “Boomer & Carton” morning show, was arrested and charged last week with running a ticket-sale Ponzi scheme.
“Unfortunately, the unfounded legal issues currently plaguing me will only be a distraction to everyone at WFAN and the show I helped build,” Carton said in a statement. “With that in mind, I have submitted my resignation to the station and they accepted.”
In his statement, Carton called the WFAN gig his “dream job” and said he had “nothing but love and respect for (Esiason).”
Esiason called it “a sad day,” but admitted “by resigning (Carton) takes a lot of pressure off all of us here at WFAN.”
After saying that he would not be surprised to “someday, somewhere, somehow” find Carton back behind a microphone, Esiason said “we have to move forward.”
“The Boomer and Carton chapter is now closed here,” he said.
Esiason said WFAN exec Mark Chernoff broke the news to him Wednesday night.
CBS Radio – which owns WFAN – said in the statement accepting Carton’s resignation that a search for his replacement would begin immediately.
The studio – seen in the CBS Sports Network’s simulcast – even got a quick overnight makeover.
“They came in here and scrubbed this studio,” Esiason told his audience about his new-look digs. “Anything that Craig was part of in studio unfortunately has been taken down … they almost took everything down of me, by the way.”
There was one light-hearted moment when a new jingle for the show was played … “Boomer and Boomer!” A few chuckles could be heard, but not from Esiason.
“It’s the end of Boomer and Carton,” Esiason added, “and for 10 years I sat next to somebody who I think, and I still believe this, is one of the great radio personalities that we’ll have ever seen.”
He ended the opening segment by saying, “I wish Craig and his family nothing but the best.”
In papers filed in Manhattan Federal Court, federal authorities allege that the sports radio host tried to raise millions of dollars in 2016 to pay gambling debts to casinos and others.
UFC’s Mark Hunt‘If I Die Fighting, That’s Fine’… Just Want Clean Sport
9/14/2017 7:57 AM PDT
UFC superstar Mark Hunt says he’s “fine” with fighting until he dies … but he’s calling for it happen in a sport free of steroid users.
“I will probably end my life fighting,” Hunt wrote in a piece for The Players Voice. “If I die fighting, that’s fine. I just hope that if it does happen, it will be in an honest and fair competition.”
The timing of Hunt’s article probably ain’t a coincidence … released just after results from Jon Jones‘ B sample drug test — confirming the presence of anabolic steroid Turinabol — were made public.
Mark’s fought several fighters who’ve gotten popped for PED use — most notably, Brock LesnaratUFC 200. The Super Samoan called Brock’s win “pre-meditated assault” … and wants to make sure that doesn’t happen to him, or anyone else, in the future.
“I’ve fought a lot of drug cheats and copped a lot of punishment from guys who were cheating and that’s not right. The cheats get all the advantages.”
Hunt says he accepts the damage he’s taken throughout his career — which he claims has led to slurred speech and lost memories — but he’s PISSED that cheaters may have prevented him from becoming a UFC champ.
Mark says his next contract is gonna have a clause where he gets all the money made by any opponent caught doping — “That could be part of my legacy.”
An accidental like of a porn video from Sen. Ted Cruz’s Twitter account just after midnight on Tuesday was met with an eventual denial from the former presidential candidate, who blamed a sloppy aide for the misfire.
The two-minute, 20-second clip that Cruz liked on the @SexuallPosts Twitter account was from a Reality Kings video called “Moms Bang Teens 20,” which followed actress Cory Chase as she walked in on her step-daughter (Avalon Heart) having sex with her boyfriend (Bruce Venture).
Pornhub removed the video from its content behind a paywall — which operates as a $ 10 ad-free subscription service with 100,000 high definition videos — at 10 a.m. Tuesday. It reached 1,000,000 views by 1 p.m., making it the fastest porn video on the site to reach that mark, according to Pornhub.
“Now our fans can check out the same video a Presidential nominee, and current Senator, watched in its entirety,” Pornhub Vice President Corey Price said in a statement to the Daily News.
But Cruz, who denied he ever watched the video or liked the tweet early Tuesday, isn’t alone in his apparent sexual preference: incest and step-incest pornography has become less taboo as pop culture has embraced the genre.
In 2016, “step mom” was the most searched term on Pornhub in the United States. “Step sister,” “MILF” (Mother I’d Like to F–k) and “mom” were also among the top results.
Dulcinea Pitagora, a New York-based sex therapist, told The News that incest and step-incest porn hasn’t necessarily become more popular, but is simply mirroring the growing trend in pop culture.
“Incest porn and sexualixing incest has been around forever, probably literally,” she said.
“There are trends in entertainment and similar trends in porn. They definitely would influence each other.”
Over the years, TV shows and movies have blurred the line between sex and family. Films like “Clueless,” “Cruel Intentions” and “Star Wars” popularized the genre, while shows including “The Brady Bunch,” “Arrested Development,” “Pretty Little Liars” and “Game of Thrones” have all glorified sibling and step-sibling relations.
In Western culture, Pitagora said, “incest is one of the more extreme taboos,” but that hasn’t stopped Hollywood.
Around 2:15 a.m. Tuesday, almost two hours after the tweet was liked, Cruz’s senior communications adviser, Catherine Frazier, tweeted that the “offensive tweet posted on @tedcruz account earlier has been removed by staff and reported by staff and reported to Twitter.”
Twitter prohibits pornography, “including internet pornography and magazines, books and films,” but does not punish users who interact with accounts that violate its terms.
During business hours on Tuesday, Cruz blamed an anonymous staffer.
“There are a number of people on the team that have access to the account and it appears that someone inadvertently hit the like button,” he told reporters.
On Wednesday, the senator again pointed the finger at the staffer, but said it was “an honest mistake.”
Cruz also spoke about the need for privacy, a sentiment that Pitagora later echoed.
“Consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want in their bedrooms,” he told CNN.
The sex therapist similarly urged the acceptance of a private life behind closed doors, particularly from politicians, athletes and celebrities who immediately go on the defensive when caught in sticky situations.
“Sometimes they’ll believe it and sometimes they won’t, but denial reinforces that that is the correct thing to say, the correct way to behave,” Pitagora told The News.
“It continues to reinforce the pathologization of sexuality, which can be damaging, not only for marginalized populations but also for mainstream populations. It’s the repressing of sexuality: it’s bad to watch porn and bad to feel sexual.”
The main concern, Pitagora said, is separating fantasy from reality.
“You can have whatever fantasy life you want,” she told The News. “Your sexual fantasy life can be very different from your behavioral life as long as you know the difference.”
CLEVELAND — A man who was convicted of rape as a teen and served nearly a year in a juvenile prison in a highly publicized case in Ohio has sued Youngstown State University after the school allowed him to join the football team as a walk-on and then told him he couldn’t play this season.
Ma’lik Richmond, of Steubenville, filed the federal lawsuit Wednesday. Richmond is asking for reinstatement to the team’s active roster, attorney fees and an unspecified amount of damages.
A university spokesman declined to comment.
A hearing is scheduled for Thursday afternoon at the federal courthouse in Youngstown.
Richmond made the team as a defensive player earlier this year after a tryout, but was told he couldn’t play and would lose a year’s eligibility after a student circulated a petition to keep him off the team.
Selena GomezIn Dire Straits for MonthsBefore Kidney Transplant
9/14/2017 6:19 AM PDT
Selena Gomez‘skidneys were failing long before she received her transplant … TMZ has learned.
We’ve learned when Selena was in Chicago for The Weeknd‘s concert back in May she was rushed to the hospital because of kidney failure. Abel was right by her side.
At that point Selena was already on a kidney transplant list.
She took a break from touring last year to deal with her lupus diagnosis. It’s a chronic disease that attacks the body’s immune system and the kidneys. She was suffering serious effects from the disease.
Selena now has a new kidney after a transplant this summer, thanks to her donor/best friend Francia Raisa.
The pop star received a kidney transplant recently to help with her Lupus disease from her longtime pal, actress Francia Raisa, Gomez shared on Instagram Thursday.
“I’m very aware some of my fans had noticed I was laying low for part of the summer and questioning why I wasn’t promoting my new music, which I was extremely proud of,” the 25-year-old wrote alongside a photo of the pair in side-by-side hospital beds.
“So I found out I needed to get a kidney transplant due to my Lupus and was recovering. It was what I needed to do for my overall health,” she continued.
The former Disney star thanked family, friends and hospital staff — but most of all Raisa, who she says gave her the “ultimate gift.”
“She gave me the ultimate gift and sacrifice by donating her kidney to me,” she wrote. “I am incredibly blessed. I love you so much sis.”
Raisa, 29, starred on “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” and will star in the “Black-ish” spin-off, “Grown-ish.” The pair has reportedly been friends since 2008.
“I am obsessed with every memory we’ve built in the last 8 years and the ones we have yet to create. I am so grateful that God put you in my life when he did,” Raisa wrote on Instagram for Gomez’s 24th birthday.
The singer vowed to tell fans more about her health battle in the coming months, but urged them to learn more about Lupus, explaining that it is often “misunderstood.”
Gomez first revealed she suffered from Lupus in a 2015 issue of Billboard. She had said she underwent chemotherapy to deal with condition. Her kidneys were reportedly failing months before the transplant, according to TMZ.
Gomez was reportedly hospitalized in May while in Chicago for boyfriend The Weeknd’s concert, the gossip site reported. He was said to be by her side while she was in the hospital.
Lupus is an autoimmune disease that attacks its own tissues.
Symptoms include joint pain, fatigue and rash and can cause harm to your organs and tissues. There is no cure for Lupus, but it can be managed through medications — and in more serious cases, requires a kidney transplant.
LOS ANGELES — Sacramento Kings forward Zach Randolph was sentenced to community service on Wednesday after being charged with marijuana possession and resisting arrest following an incident last month at a Los Angeles housing project, prosecutors said.
Randolph entered a no-contest plea during a court appearance Wednesday and was immediately sentenced to 150 hours of community service, said Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the Los Angeles city attorney’s office.
The two-time All-Star may petition the court for the charges to be vacated if he stays out of trouble for a year, Mateljan said.
Randolph initially had been arrested in August on suspicion of possessing marijuana with intent to sell, a felony, but Los Angeles city prosecutors instead charged him with misdemeanor drug possession. Court documents said the 36-year-old Randolph possessed “more than 28.5 grams of marijuana or more than four grams of concentrated cannabis or both.” Randolph also was accused of resisting arrest and obstructing a Los Angeles police officer in the discharge of his or her duties.
Randolph was arrested Aug. 9 at the Nickerson Gardens housing project in Watts after officers observed a crowd of people drinking, smoking marijuana, blasting music and blocking streets, police have said. The officers observed three people, including Randolph, run off but immediately stopped one of the men, police said. Randolph and another man ran inside a home and were arrested after a crowd of bystanders formed and attempted to block the officers, police said.
After the arrests, the crowd grew and people began throwing bottles and rocks, police said. Five police cars and one sheriff’s vehicle ended up with smashed windows and slashed tires, but no officers were injured.
Randolph’s attorney did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment on Wednesday, but he has previously said the charges against his client were “false and misleading.”
Randolph, a 16-year NBA veteran, spent eight seasons with the Memphis Grizzlies before signing with the Kings in July.
Randolph played for Michigan State and was drafted in 2001 by the Portland Trail Blazers. Randolph also played for the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Clippers.
Furious commuters slammed the MTA Thursday morning after debris on the subway tracks slowed the commute from upper Manhattan and the Bronx, the MTA said.
There were no trains on the 1, 2 and 3 lines between W. 96th St. and W. 42nd St. because of debris blocking the tracks at W. 50th St., officials said.
“This is unacceptable,” commuter Alicia Hale posted on Twitter. “This is the morning commute – lives and jobs.”
Downtown trains on the No. 2 line were running on the No. 5 tracks from 149th St./Grand Concourse in the Bronx to Nevins St. in Brooklyn.
There were no 3 trains between 148th St. and 34th St.-Penn Station.
The MTA was advising straphangers to take the A or C trains or the M104 bus between W. 34th St. and W. 137th St.
MTA officials said the debris was found at 7:12 am on the tracks north of the 50th St. Station on the 1 Line.
Workers cut power and work crews responded.
A test ran through the area, at 8:11 am.
Service was expected to resume shortly, but the damage was already done, according to straphangers who took to Twitter. “Literally stuck at 168th Haven’t moved 3 ft in 15 min. & then another train arrived,” Twitter user That New York City Fast Pace wrote.
Another poster wrote, “Hundreds of people stuck at 168th station unable to move.”
Nicholas Sawicki wrote, “Some have life coaches. I have the @MTA to inspire me to get up each morning well before the daily breakdown.”
Navah Maynard wrote, “So glad that the @MTA raised the price of my monthly metro card.”
MURRAY, Ky. — Murray State has tweeted a video that shows Racers defensive lineman Bishop Woods and girlfriend Caitlin Myers being married in a rainy ceremony officiated by offensive line coach Brian Hamilton.
The ceremony took place after Tuesday’s practice at midfield with head coach Mitch Stewart holding an umbrella over Myers. Woods, a senior, was dressed in Murray State’s gold and navy practice uniform. Hamilton, ordained by the Universal Life Church to officiate weddings, mixed unconventional humor with traditional vows that included loving each other in sickness and health, “even if the sickness is caused by trendy cocktails.”
Myers and Woods, who received their official marriage certificate in Calloway County on Wednesday, kissed to cheers from Woods’ Racers teammates. The couple dated for 3 1/2 years and has a four-month-old son, Benjamin.